Did your doctor prescribe medicine that may cause you dry mouth? Dry mouth is a prominent effect of many medications. There are over 400 medicines that can cause the salivary glands to make less saliva. At Dental Plans Direct, we understand the importance of good oral hygiene and want to give you some helpful tips to get you started on your journey.
Here are helpful tips to minimize dry mouth
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often and during meals
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy
- Ask your dentist about products for dry mouth
If you have dry mouth, you need to be extra careful to keep your teeth healthy. Why? Saliva serves as the mouth’s primary defense against tooth decay and maintains the health of the soft and hard tissues in the mouth.
Keep your teeth healthy with the following tips
- Gently brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Floss your teeth every day
- Use toothpaste with fluoride in it.
- Avoid sticky, sugary foods. If you do eat them, brush immediately afterward.
- Visit your dentist for a check-up at least twice a year. Your dentist might give you a special fluoride solution that you can rinse with to help keep your teeth healthy.